Strategies for Management of Botrytis Affected Red Grapes
The Bureau of Meteorology is forecasting a warmer summer with potential high rainfall across most wine regions for vintage 2021. Humid weather conditions are often followed by Botrytis infection.
Winequip has collaborated with IOC and Lallemand to create a contingency winemaking protocol for grapes affected by Botrytis. Innovative products, not previously seen in Australia, have been specifically chosen to help you optimise the quality of your wine.
The objective of this protocol is to:
- Remove laccase enzyme early in the process.
- Inhibit further growth of Botrytis.
- Fast extraction of colour and tannin with minimal skin contact time to reduce mouldy characters.
- Protect aroma compounds with potent antioxidants.
- Select yeast and bacteria strains based on robust, safe, and reliable fermentation.
- Select yeast nutrition and toxin absorption to optimise fermentation kinetics.
- Stabilise colour, enhance aromatics and improve wine structure.
- Treat mouldy and oxidised characters with specialised products.
For more information, please contact your local Winequip representative for more information.