Strategies for Management of Botrytis Affected White and Rosé Grapes
The Bureau of Meteorology is forecasting a warmer summer with potential high rainfall across most wine regions for vintage 2021. Humid weather conditions are often followed by Botrytis infection.
Winequip has collaborated with IOC and Lallemand to create a contingency winemaking protocol for grapes affected by Botrytis. Innovative products, not previously seen in Australia, have been specifically chosen to help you optimise the quality of your wine.
The objective of this protocol is to:
- Remove laccase enzyme early in the process
- Inhibit further growth of Botrytis.
- Fast extraction of juice with minimal skin contact time to reduce mouldy characters and oxidation.
- Protect aroma compounds and colour with potent antioxidants.
- Select yeast and bacteria strains based on robust, safe, and reliable fermentation.
- Select yeast nutrition and toxin absorption to optimise fermentation kinetics.
- Enhance aromatics and improve wine structure.
- Treat mouldy and oxidised characters with specialised products.
- Encourage a ‘reductive’ style of winemaking
For more information, please contact your local Winequip representative.